Friday, September 28, 2012

Simple knit bibs made from recycled t-shirts

Pin It


Have you ever noticed they usually make store-bought fabric bibs out of very light-colored fabrics?
What better way to show off all these tasty baby-food stains?!
I was tired of  the old, stained bibs we have laying around here.
So I went through my donation stack and used a couple of my old shirts to make some bibs that won't show stains as easily.
(OK, maybe I shouldn't have used one that has white stripes, but I really like stripes...)

So fast, and so simple.

And, since it pretty much only took recycled materials, super cheap, too.
I didn't take pictures while I made them, but the process is pretty simple:
  1. Trace a bib you like, adding a small seam allowance. 
  2. For one bib, cut two pieces of fabric, using the pattern you made in step 1.
  3. Cut out a simple shape out of a contrasting color, and sew it on the front piece.
  4. Line up both pieces, right sides together, and sew them together, leaving a small opening in the bottom for turning.
  5. Turn the bib right side out and press with an iron.
  6. Top-stitch the sides of the bib.
  7. Add velcro or snaps to create the closure of the bib.

Pin It

3 comments:

Jennifer @ Delightfully Noted said...

I ADORE these! I love the modern look to them and great color combo!

Jenny Lynn said...

These are adorable bibs. Thinking, thinking who can I make some for.

Polly @ Pieces by Polly said...

I've been thinking about trying some recycled T-shirt bibs...love how yours turned out. Great choice of fabric.